URL shortening is a technique on the World Wide Web in which a Uniform Resource Locator(URL) may be made substantially shorter in length and still redirect to the required page. This is achieved by using a redirecton to a domain name that is short, which links to the webpage that has a long URL.
URL SHORTENING SERVICE
URL shortening service is giving a short URL for a long URL. When a shorten URL is clicked, the destination of the link is a long URL. This service differ from one to other service providers, based on
- Length of the shortened URL
- Shortening link management
- Redirection [301(permanet redirection), 302, 307(temporarly redirection)]
- Time of link expirtation
Their are several reasons to use URL shortening service; some include the following:
- URls are difficult to memorize or type-out.
- Like Twitter and Instant messaging services have a limited number of characters a message can carry.
- URL shortening sites provide a detailed information how much click a link receive.
SOME URL SHORTENING SITES
Their are many sites offering free URL shortening, some are shortening only links posted on their site or links of theirs; examples:
– http://t.co : Twitter
– http://fb.me : Facebook
– http://link.in : LinkedIn
– http://db.tt : Dropbox
– and others
URL shortening services providers
Thank you for reading
if want add more comment here and share to your friends.